The Challenge is for the club to complete 10 island trips in 1 year.
Caoimhin Ardren has been busy checking the charts and identified up to 20 different island trips spanning almost the whole NSW Coastline. Each trip will aim to circumnavigate at least one, or possibly multiple islands.
There are no rules, other than - you have to circumnavigate the island. Multiple trips to the same island through the year is permitted (and encouraged for local islands).
As trip leaders take up the challenge, individual trips will appear on the club event list.
Here is a list of completed and potential NSW Island Challenge trips:
- Wollongong 5 islands - See Mid-Week Circumnavigation of Five Island 30 Nov 2016 completed
- Montague Island. See Magnificant Montangue Island. Completed Dec 10 and 11, 2016
- Fingal Island (Fingal Bay) - Completed 18th of February 2017
- Toll Gate and Snapper Islands (at RnR)
- Islands of Sydney harbour, multiple or single trips. Even an overnighter at Cockatoo Island. See A Mid-week Sydney Harbour Island Explorer 29-30 March 2017
- Islands of the Hawkesbury River - NSWSKC Island Challenge 1st to 2nd of April 2017
- Moon Island off Swansea heads - Sunday 9th of April
- Murramarrang Islands. An overnight trip targetting
- Brush Island / Belowla Island - off Bawley Point /Kioloa Bay
- O'Hara and Dawson Islands - off Pretty Beach
- Grasshopper and Wasp island - off Durras
- Jimmies Island - Guerilla Bay
Maybe during the Club weekend down Jervis Bay:
- Drum and Drumstick (Beecroft)
- Bowen Island (Jervis Bay)
TBA - Caoimhin will lead
- Split Solitary and other Solitary islands off Coffs Harbour (TBA - June 2017)
Stlll up for grabs:
- Lion Island (From Ettalong Beach / Palm Beach)
- Wedding Cake Island off Coogee
- Bird Island (north of Norah Head)
- Cabbage Tree, Little and Boondelbah Islands
- Broughton Island
- Green Island / Fish Rock off SW Rocks /Smokey Cape
- Julia Rocks off Byron Bay
- Stack Island - Minnamurra